Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming

Not My Father's Son: A Memoir - Alan Cumming
Not My Father's Son
by Alan Cumming
Expected publication: October 7th 2014 by Dey St., an Imprint of William Morrow Publishers

Not My Father's Son is a celebrity memoir worth noticing. Mr. Cumming discusses the horrific abuses his mother, brother, and he dealt with at the hands of his father, as well as some traumatic secrets found while doing the UK version of "Who Do You Think You Are?"

This is definitely not the typical celebrity who's who, name dropping, Hollywood style memoir. He talks about his life, his thoughts and reactions, his relationships, and leaves out "celebrity" circles. He does discuss his career as just that, acting his job, not the fame. He shows himself as a human being with heart, a family, a husband, with the same joys, same woes, same wonders and same fears as anyone walking down the street. Mr. Cumming writes candidly and intelligently, drawing in the reader like he is sitting across the table and having a conversation.

I finished the memoir appreciating what the author had to say, but more importantly, I appreciated his forthrightness in discussing mental health issues, not only that his grandfather had to deal with after serving years in the military during WWII, but his own issues with a nervous breakdown and ensuing therapy. Mental Health issues are still looked upon as taboo in many ways, and Alan Cumming shines a respectful light on a topic that needs more understanding.

I would definitely recommend this book to others.

***This ARC was shared with me by someone who received it from the publisher in a Goodreads giveaway.***