STAND FOR SOMETHING OR STAND FOR NOTHING by Ebony Jones-Kuye

Stand For Something or Stand For Nothing: The Story Of How A Mother And Daughter Fought One Of The Richest Men In The World - Ebony M Jones-Kuye

Stand for Something or Stand for Nothing

Ebony Jones-Kuye

Paperback, 152 pages
Published July 7th 2015 by Ebony Jones-Kuye
ISBN: 069244470X (ISBN13: 9780692444702)

Stand for Something is something I really enjoyed reading. Ebony Jones-Kuye writing style is very conversational, almost as if she's sitting across the table and having a cup of coffee and discussing this topic with me. This memoir covers her time growing up part in Texas, mostly in California, trying to get a good education while dealing with her brother's death, gangs, her mom's health issues stemming from Sickle Cell Anemia, and eventually the housing discrimination that her mom and many others had to deal with. Mrs. Jones-Kuye's strength and perseverance to better herself, and how she learned from her mom, shows that there is hope in what others may see as a hopeless situation.

I really liked the conversational and honest tone of the book. This was a quick read, but also an educational read as well. Sickle Cell Anemia is not a medical condition that is talked about much, so I learned a lot on this topic. While I remember Donald Sterling from the media coverage in regards to the Los Angeles Clippers and Sterling's racism scandal, I don't remember much about the legal issues and discrimination that so many dealt with while living in buildings owned by Sterling. This, I believe, is where the real story is. And Jones-Kuye has shared that here beautifully. Yes, she shows the poverty, the negative issues of gangs that families deal with, and more, but she also shows well that there are good, strong people with dignity, a sense of purpose, and honor regardless of socioeconomic status.

Definitely a good book to read if you're looking for a success story showing hope and strength.

***I received this book through a Booklikes giveaway from the author. *****