Cartier's Ring - Pearson Moore

Set in the 16th century in what is now Quebec, Canada, Cartier's Ring follow's Myeerah, a 12 year old girl living in Stadacona as a Wendat but originally born an Oneida. It follows her life over the next approximately 70 plus years as well as the beginnings of what would become the 5 Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy, and the early European exploration of Quebec, Canada.

Moore does use a lot of native language for names and places. He also shows, in each chapter, the different viewpoints of the characters by giving the pertinent characters his or her own part of the chapter. Myeerah's sections are done in first person, while the others are in 3rd person. This, initially, slowed me down a little until I found the "rhythm" of the book. There are many characters, but the story blends well.

Myeerah is a strong character, who faces a struggle initially as a female taking on traditional male role (hunting). Through her experience, she proves to be a good hunter, helping secure food for her village during winter months, teaching others in the clans, eventually earning respect as a matriarch. The story wonderfully shows the lifestyles and philosophies of each tribe and the French explorers, how language barriers and difference of political views were dealt with by each group.

I, at first, thought this book would be interesting as I live in NYS with all it's Haudenosaunee history. I found I really enjoyed the book because of all the history that was researched and put into Cartier's Ring. I would definitely recommend this book to others.

****This book was received free from the author, through Goodreads' The Reviews Initiative for Indie Books group, for an honest review"