Tin Lily by Joann Swanson

***advance reader copy-expected release date is 14 July, 2014****

I found Joann Swanson's Tin Lily captivating from the first sentence to the last. The main character, Lily Berkenshire, is a strong, captivating character who is trying to overcome blaming herself for her mother's death. A small detail of Lily's not answering a phone call from her alcoholic, abusive father haunts her. If only she answered the phone...A story of 2 generations of a family either overcoming being abused or succumbing to the abuse and believing it is "all my fault," Lily finds there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Joann Swanson successfully portrays the healing process that Lily goes through so that she can not only survive but thrive as a complete person. Tin Lily moves quickly in a short time span. In the real world, it can take years to get to the point where Lily is at the end of the book. I didn't see this as a real flaw, just a way to keep the plot line moving at a gratifying pace. The reality of the long term process is seen through several of the well-written minor characters.
Aunt Marge and Sam display a bravery, showing you don't have to be that learned behavior, while Hank, Lily's father, shows her the other side of the coin.

The plot moved quickly for me, made sense as the author shares Lily's thoughts as to what she believed was happing in her life. I would definitely read more from Joann Swanson.
****this book was received from the author through a Goodreads giveaway.***